These instructions will help with installing and setting up a generic USB joystick to Obseron. The installation process may differ from the instructions depending on the operating system, Obseron version and/or joystick.
Obseron on a graphical user interface
Controllable PTZ camera configured in Obseron
Generic USB HID joystick
Windows 10 might install an "Better USB" driver for the joystick, this driver will not work with many joysticks and should be changed to "HID Input device" driver from the device manager.
Adding and setting up the joystick
- Go to Menu > Settings > Devices and click + to add a new I/O device.
- From the window that opens, choose PTZ joystick as the device type.
- Test the added joystick and make sure it's working correctly. When moving the joystick, axis value 1 and 2 should change. When zooming in or out, axis value 3 should change.
- Find and press the number 0 on your joystick to see which Button X pressed section activates. This Button X is the physical button for the number 0. Repeat this step for the number 1 on the joystick.
- In the Joystick settings tab enter the above-mentioned buttons for Keypad number 0 and Keypad number 1 in the dropdown menus.
- Go to the Joystick status tab. Test the functionality of the joystick's number keys by pressing them and checking that the number corresponding with the button being pressed appears in the Number entry section. When pressing the number key 1 on the joystick, the number 1 should appear in the number entry field.
- Choose an unused button from the joystick (for example button 11) and choose Select camera as its function from the dropdown menu. Now when pressing the button 11 on the joystick, Obseron will stand by to receive the camera number that is typed with the joystick number keys.
- Make sure the cameras are correctly numbered in the camera number organizer (check the Select camera with a numeric keypad or joystick section here).
- Return to the tab where the desired camera images are open (for example Camera 1).
- Choose the camera from the joystick by pressing the set buttons: Select camera > Number 0 > Number 1 (Select camera 01). By default the selection is 2-digit. This can be changed from the joystick settings from Camera selection digit count. Move the joystick to make sure the camera is turning correctly.